Tuesday, April 17, 2012

An unexpected push

So, it's like this: about two weeks ago, I had the brilliant idea of putting my books on the Smashwords website as sort of a test run.  You know, let a few people read it and critique it so that I can finish my final editing with some fresh eyes.  Of course, then my sweet (?) husband posted the link to my book on his Facebook page, and voila!  My book is exposed to the general world of my friends, family, and acquaintances!  Well, we are going to make the best of the situation.

First of all, I'm going to explain a little bit about my book: it is not a Harlequin romance novel.  I promise.  Being a woman, I do like a bit of romance in my books, so that is a definite element.  It is not, however, steamy or lurid.  My idea was to make books with which I could sit in my living room and let my kids read them without blushing (too much.)  Therefore, I tried to make them entirely PG-13; a few swear words and some none-too-sultry kisses is the most I have included.  Also, the motivator for the first book, and subsequently for the books that followed, stemmed from my desire to make books that gave me hope.  Books with redeeming value.  So, despite the tag lines, I promise that my books will not leave you disheartened or discouraged.  I do realize that the fact will actually drive away some audiences, but, sorry! I am a sucker for a happy ending, and I wrote this at a time when I was in desperate need for some personal inspiration.

Secondly, I promise that the book will be at least mildly interesting, and if you have any desire to help out a fellow American :) I would love your feedback.  No need to contact me directly, and no need to worry about my feelings.  Write your honest review on  Smashwords.  My husband has just increased the size and scope of my test audience, and I intend to make the best of it.

All that being said, I hope you enjoy the book.  It was a lot of fun to write, and I think that you'll find some entertainment as well as some life lessons in all three of my books.  Don't expect any deep, philosophical literature like you would find in a college English class, but I hope I provided at least some fun, excited reading with a redeeming value.  In the end, all the books I have written are about redemption, as will be any book I write in the future, because that is the constant theme of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment